Emancipated Minors
Most states have a legal proceeding that allows a person under the age of majority to petition the court for full rights as an adult. This grant of adult rights is based on the maturity of the minor and the minor’s need for adult status. This need is based on the minor’s living alone or other factors that make it inappropriate for the minor’s parents to retain control over the minor. Marriage usually qualifies the minor to consent to medical care, as does service in the armed forces.